TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

How To: Install / Replace Instrument / Gauge Panel on a B14

Sunny to Skyline - SR20, CA18, RB20-26, VG30 etc.

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

v-vo

How To: Install / Replace Instrument / Gauge Panel on a B14

Postby v-vo » April 25th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Hey everyone,
Just bought one of these for my B14 and I was told this is pretty easy to replace..was wondering if anyone can guide me as to how to do this?
Thanks

v-vo

Postby v-vo » April 25th, 2010, 7:24 pm

The original panel I have on now (that isnt working) is one with the tach, digital odometer, clock, PRND21..(Local)
Bought one from a guy and this one is the exact same thing except it has an airbag light whereas mine doesnt have any..
was wondering if this wud plug and play exact or would i need to make some modifications?

.:PROZAC:..
punchin NOS

Postby .:PROZAC:.. » April 25th, 2010, 7:50 pm

I can't tell you if it will or not until you look at the plugs on the back but first we have to take it out.

Two philips head scres that hold the black finisher sroung in the dash.
Here is a write up on how to change the bulbs but it gets you as far as taking out the cluster.

Yes it's on lhd sentra... use your other hand when taking out the screw then lol.

http://www.sr20-forum.com/cosmetic/154- ... ights.html

v-vo

Postby v-vo » April 25th, 2010, 8:11 pm

lol..thanks man..will try this in the mornin!

Zed Sqd
Sweet on this forum

Postby Zed Sqd » April 25th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Some of them jack in and work (depending on the model instru pan you have), BUT most likely the wiring is different.

Typically 10 to 12 years is how long the local panels last for. A Singapore panel is what you have to look for (the one with the tach and digital odo), otherwise any other will work. Some of the Japanese panels come with the digital odometer too. If all the functions dont work on the foreign used one, any good electrician will be able to trace the wires from the harness back to the panel functions and hook it up!

OH...getting a piece of the harness with the jacks that came with the FU panel helps with the wiring. That way wires can "feed" off those from the car's original harness, and if you decide to go by Massey and pay $5,000 for a new original panel, you can just plug in back the old jacks.
Last edited by Zed Sqd on September 21st, 2011, 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

v-vo

Postby v-vo » April 25th, 2010, 10:33 pm

dude, $5000!? it's quite alright
well this year is the 12th year we have the car, ironically lol..
so I got the one wit the digital odo and tach..I also have the harnesses that came with the panel..
so you're saying that even though it MAY jack in, chances are most likely, the wiring is different? that sucks..
will that do any damage if I plug in and test with different wiring?

Zed Sqd
Sweet on this forum

Postby Zed Sqd » April 25th, 2010, 11:23 pm

i dont think it'll do any damage. cuz when i was looking for one, i jacked in about 3 different ones to make sure they worked while i was at the FU places. i ended up going with an analog one that the tach worked and in good condition (i couldnt get the one with the digi odo at the time), and got an electrician to sort out the rest like the PRND21 and warning lights.

although the some of the jacks will jack in, the others may not because of the shape of the jack. good thing you got the harness too. also, the wiring is also different for the jacks that do fit. cuz remember the electrician will have to ignore the ABS and Air Bag lights.
Last edited by Zed Sqd on April 26th, 2010, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

v-vo

Postby v-vo » April 26th, 2010, 1:02 am

zedsqd wrote:i dont think it'll do any damage. cuz when i was looking for one, i jacked in about 3 different ones to make sure they worked while i was at the FU places. i ended up going with an analog one that the tach worked and in good condition (i couldnt get the one with the digi odo at the time), and got an electrician to sort out the rest like the PRND12 and warning lights.

although the some of the jacks will jack in, the others may not because of the shape of the jack. good thing you got the harness too. also, the wiring is also different for the jacks that do fit. cuz remember the electrician will have to ignore the ABS and Air Bag lights.

yeh, that's what I thought, except i figured that the ABS n Airbag lights for instance would be extra 'pins' in the FU harness that wont be applicable when I use my local harness to jack up..i figured that the pins controlling ABS n what not would be blank on my harness so it wouldn't be activated..didnt think that the order of the wiring would be totally different on a whole.
But, say what, I'll hook up and give feedback tmrw..I just want my tach, speedo, odo, gas and temp gauges to be working again, n I'll be fine till I get time to see an auto electrician to fix whatever may not be working..(that is if I'm not able to find relevant wiring diagrams online)

v-vo

Postby v-vo » April 26th, 2010, 10:46 am

So I just plugged it in..and everything works!! :mrgreen:
During the process of removing my panel, I noticed that the jacks were the same and I matched all the colour coded wires to the same order as they were in the FU harness so I figured it would have worked!
The only thing that doesnt work is the gas gauge, which used to give problems before the panel went bad. So i'm guessing it's the 'float sensor thing' in the fuel tank?

demented
Riding on 17's

Postby demented » April 27th, 2010, 11:09 am

v-vo

Where did you get the panel to buy? I've been looking for one with the digital Odometer and Tach for a while no place in the bamboo has when I checked 2 weeks ago, they only have the analogue.

v-vo

Postby v-vo » April 27th, 2010, 11:57 am

demented wrote:
v-vo

Where did you get the panel to buy? I've been looking for one with the digital Odometer and Tach for a while no place in the bamboo has when I checked 2 weeks ago, they only have the analogue.

yeh, I have been looking for the past month also, and couldn't find ANY at all in the bamboo. only analogue. So i put up a 'WTB' post here in the Auto Classifieds section and someone PM'd me! ;)
I'll bump my thread up to see if anyone else has and I'll contact you if I got through to one!

demented
Riding on 17's

Postby demented » April 27th, 2010, 12:12 pm

thanks man

Zed Sqd
Sweet on this forum

Postby Zed Sqd » April 27th, 2010, 9:47 pm

ask for the Singapore B14 instrument panel when you lookin around (impossible to find), but the Japanese ones will work.

v-vo good to hear things in order.

Advertisement

Return to “NISSAN”