Forums

Air Condition 4age 20v Bt

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Snixs27
Street 2NR

Air Condition 4age 20v Bt

Postby Snixs27 » October 23rd, 2006, 7:25 am

Can I use any Other Toyota Air Condition Compressor, all look the Same except for the Pulley. Tried everything to get my a/c to work in traffic but with no success. The A/c man said the compressor not working good and this is my Third on Ae 92 liftback. A/c was originally r12. Using same lines evapourator etc for conversion to r134. (Drier Changed Too). Need some help.

Terran
punchin NOS

Postby Terran » October 23rd, 2006, 8:22 am

I really don't know too much about air conditioners, but check Joseph at King Kool. He sorted out my problems. I gather you had the same problem I had. Does the air condition cool ONLY when you're driving, but gets warmer in traffic?

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » October 23rd, 2006, 9:06 am

Even within the st and bt 20v there are differences with compressor fittings. Check and see if your bolt size fitting is a 10 or 12 then start to hunt for a compressor. If you not sure then try and buy the compressor with the appropriate fittings and ur ac guy can weld them up. I can reccomend the ac guy who redid the system in my '92. 754-8440 ask for Young. Tell him Anton send yuh.

Snixs27
Street 2NR

Postby Snixs27 » October 26th, 2006, 6:20 am

Thanks, Aircondition Cools when driving but gets hot when in traffic.

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » October 26th, 2006, 7:34 am

That could be the result of the inherent inefficiency of the condenser and fan. They just can't cope with the heat generated by the 20v. While driving the incoming air would cool the condenser and the ac would work better, but at standstill the lil condenser fan ketchin he arse.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » October 26th, 2006, 8:54 am

if the ac is working only while driving then the compressor is likely to be at fault, your best bet is to go in the Bamboo and try and source the correct and exact one bear in mind this could be a costly part, check Senauth's

Strauss
Shifting into 6th

Postby Strauss » October 26th, 2006, 10:04 am

Who says you can't use any toyota compressor? Onces it comes from the 4A**
Imagine what pressure I would have been in. :)

Can we keep discussions on the Toyota thread so all info in one place?
http://forums.trinituner.com/forums/vie ... hp?t=94070

turboturtle
Street 2NR

Postby turboturtle » October 26th, 2006, 1:01 pm

^^^^He's right, I just had the compressor replaced on my silver top...the guy who fixed it had no trouble sourcing one.

Zeriam
punchin NOS

Postby Zeriam » November 1st, 2006, 10:48 am

i need 1 for a 4a where in the bamboo i could find 1

gt4tified
punchin NOS

Postby gt4tified » November 1st, 2006, 11:08 am

^^^ Fellah, you joking rite? "where in the bamboo i could find 1" :?:

Procedure to find parts in de bamboo 101:

Step 1: Obtain usage of working vehicle or other form of suitable transport

Step 2: Drive to the bamboo (#2) wearing suitable attire.....short pants and jersey..or better yet ah greasy coverall.

Step 3: Drive down past about 10 parts places and acquire suitable parking (not on de roadside)

Step 4: Starting in any direction, walk to each of about 10 parts place (20 total)

Step 5: Go up to any attendant/parts counter, and say these words: "Wham now star/familee (the latter in the case of female attendants). Allyuh have a a/c compressor for a toyota 4a... engine?"

Step 6: If successful, proceed to negotiate a price that fits your budget. If unsuccesful, repeat step 4 until successful.

Step 7: Pay for your part, obtain bill (make sure and get the standard warrantee on part, if any) and walk to vehicle.

Step 8: Drive home. Congratulations, you have just purchased yourself a bamboo part! :wink:

fafrumlosin
punchin NOS

Postby fafrumlosin » November 1st, 2006, 11:35 am

^^^BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA oh gorm alluh eh easy nah....i have the same problem but my ac guy explained to me that my car being a local comes with a really small condenser when compared to the ones in the FU so i need to change that

Zeriam
punchin NOS

Postby Zeriam » November 1st, 2006, 1:05 pm

thanks i never reach in the bamboo yet

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » November 1st, 2006, 1:59 pm

oh gorm :lol: watch at bamboo shopping instructions oui!

basically any a-series compressor (4A/5A) will bolt straight up to the 4A-GE...if u can, find one in the best condition possible or from an engine with low mileage

for starlets (4E-FTE) any e-series compressor (2E/3E/4E/5E) will work as well

Anton
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Anton » November 1st, 2006, 3:32 pm

The 4a compressors would bolt up, but the fittings may be different.

Snixs27
Street 2NR

Postby Snixs27 » November 2nd, 2006, 8:42 am

I have an Extra Compressor (3rd), but believe that the one on the engine is going through, it's making ticking sound when Idling and not cooling as good as before. As "fafrumlosin" say may have to change the condenser to the larger one.

classycars
Riding on 13's

Re: Air Condition 4age 20v Bt

Postby classycars » August 27th, 2010, 12:23 am

My wife had a B14 befor we got married , from the day she buy that car she had ac problems. She had it re-gassed so many times that she lost count , then the so called ac repair guys started their song, First they said it was the evaporator that was changed . 2 weeks after same problem , next he said it was the compressor, that was changed .... 2 weeks after same problem , then he said the oil in the compressor was bad since the used compressor that she bought may have has water in it , so he did that and then re-gassed again ..... 1 week after same problem , so she got fed-up and decided to take all the exhaust fumes ..... Then one day it was brought to my attension the she intended to sell the car because of ac issues .... so i decided to take a look at the situation by force , since her father thinks he knows everything and he was the one taking her to all these quacks.... Upon inspection i saw oil on the condensor and some of the hoses needed to be re-done. I took the car to my AC guy as i sat there and told him what i wanted done . First i had him pressure test the evaporator , and the compressor , changed the condensor and dryer, re-build all the hoses and the pressure test the system again , looking on as he did his job . it has been 2yrs now and the Ac still works great . My point being is that a lot of these guys screw up and we end up paying , its easy to tell us this bad and that bad , the sad thing is we believe in them .... i call them quacks ...... to all my friends that read this post , please use a little common sense and avoid rip-offs

bigchief3679
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby bigchief3679 » August 27th, 2010, 7:00 am

^^^ it is sad but true. many AC guys don't have half a clue about what they are doing and the proper theory behind thier chosen field. they would just keep changing parts until by process of elimination the problem may go away.

to the OP, a little research may give you a better idea of what must be done to convert from R12 to R134a and hopefully reveal the weakpoint of your existing system.

Lucian-2nr
Chronic 2NR

Postby Lucian-2nr » August 29th, 2010, 6:20 pm

bigchief3679 wrote:^^^ it is sad but true. many AC guys don't have half a clue about what they are doing and the proper theory behind thier chosen field. they would just keep changing parts until by process of elimination the problem may go away.

to the OP, a little research may give you a better idea of what must be done to convert from R12 to R134a and hopefully reveal the weakpoint of your existing system.

True....

And I think the OP should check another AC technician also... some of the techs also do stuff just to keep making more money.

Papajohn
Street 2NR

Postby Papajohn » September 3rd, 2010, 4:33 pm

And I think the OP should check another AC technician also... some of the techs also do stuff just to keep making more money

x2 been by a couple of ac technician and they still couldnt determine my problem

most of them jus rippin of people,and prices are ridulous

who u guys recommend to be the best of the best,cause i spents enough $ and my ac hasnt been performing to its full potiential yet.

oxidation
Sweet on this forum

Postby oxidation » September 4th, 2010, 12:52 am

what do you guys think abt these ac men who do the B14 conversion in other cars

i.e. they install B14 compressor in cars that hard to get their original compressors and other parts

i had this done in my mazda 323 and man talk abt problems..............

do a specific compressor for a certain vehicle have a specific amt of refrigerant that it must pump through out the system to make it work properly.

in my 323 the lines were much bigger that the lines coming out of the b14 compressor

this may be due to that the 323's system used R12 gas as compared to the B14 which uses R134

classycars
Riding on 13's

Postby classycars » September 6th, 2010, 10:33 pm

The B14 carries 2 size of compressors , a small bore and a big bore .... most small cars like the B14 carries a standard size compressor however the evaporator must be looked at , if you have a small bore evaporator then you need a small bore compressor and condensor, its called pre-charging the system, mostly this is done at the entry point of the evaporator but in some cases the process starts out in the lines of what you would call the high side of the system .
Restriction also a major problem since the system is not vacumed the way it should , most of the quacks out there have some dead-out vacum pumps , so the next time they connect that to your system take a look at the gauges to ensure that it reads -30 to -40 psi.
I' a little pressed for time now but if anyone needs advise , post it here and i'll share what i know.

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » September 6th, 2010, 10:52 pm

Awesome! Thanks for offering to share some advice, classycars!

I've a question...but first...

Now, my car uses the R12 and that's what's in there. Cools okay-ish (takes a while on hot days when it's parked in the sun all day, but say what), but when the compressor kicks in, there's a hissing sound from the vents (like in those horror movies when demons move in smoke form? yeah, that sound)...AND, if the a/c is on when I switch off the car, I get a bubbling sound as I switch off...not clear if it's coming from inside or outside (compressor or evaporator?), but it sounds like when water's boiling violently in a kettle and dies off within a few seconds...oh, and there's always bubbles in the little sight glass on the dryer bottle.

Now the question: What's up with that?

A172
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby A172 » September 7th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Papajohn wrote:And I think the OP should check another AC technician also... some of the techs also do stuff just to keep making more money

x2 been by a couple of ac technician and they still couldnt determine my problem

most of them jus rippin of people,and prices are ridulous

who u guys recommend to be the best of the best,cause i spents enough $ and my ac hasnt been performing to its full potiential yet.

I went by a guy called Vishnu in Cunupia recently to do back ac....man that young bhai is GOOD

I just went with the compressor and condensor mounted up and he ran everything from scratch with new parts; lines, expansion valve, dryer bottle etc.....checked for leaks and to see if any other parts were faulty then gassed up.....ac blowing like ice on first try and cooled down in no time on idle :mrgreen:

prices reasonable plus he was willing to take the job on a Sunday

Vishnu 3427663

classycars
Riding on 13's

Postby classycars » September 7th, 2010, 10:49 pm

First of all R12 cools just as well as any , if you have a system that runs on the old gas then its just a matter of changing the oil.
How an AC system works is , gas is stored in the entire system, then the compressor pumps it through the condensor (for cooling) then the dryer and then the expansion valve.
Reasons for hissing sound from vents are as follows , 1. Bad dryer 2. Too much oil in the compressor(this can affect cooling even though the system seems fully gassed) and last but not least the expansion valve.
We have to always remember for R12 or any other Refrigerant to works is that it has to return to a liquid state , for this to happen it has to be cooled and as such this is where your condensor comes in , if your cooling fans are not working as they should then you have a mixture of gas and liquid reaching your evaporator, this will cause a hissing of bubbling sound . an easy way to check this is to use water on the condensor then check for changes in Temp.
The compressor..... this the heart of your system , this is also the first to blame when having problems, here is the good news ..... a compressor can be checked to know if faulty, here is a few ideas how it is done , 1. pressure testing using nitro 2. placing a gauge on the low side and at idle speed of engine you should be getting between -40 to -50 psi then when you turn off your engine it should drop back slowly and not drastically ...
Once again hope that my info was usefull in some little way .
As always people , avoid the quacks .....

classycars
Riding on 13's

Postby classycars » September 7th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Oh i forgot the bubbles at the inspection port of the dryer, that can mean that the system needs topping up a bit , N.B sometimes the ac guys think that if they full charge you ac that leaks will start to show up ..... so they decide to keep it under charged , it will cool just enough to keep you off their backs .....lol

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » September 8th, 2010, 12:31 am

Irie dance...thanks for the info meng. I was thinking it all relates to not enough gas in the system and the bubbling might be too much oil in the compressor, so u might've confirmed it for me. Will get it checked, thanks.

dervynayr
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dervynayr » September 8th, 2010, 9:25 pm

OMG!!! we schoolin peeps on how tuh scavenge in de bamboo???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hook
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Hook » September 8th, 2010, 11:04 pm

you're about four years late on that comment meng...and it was a joke :|

oxidation
Sweet on this forum

Postby oxidation » September 8th, 2010, 11:42 pm

classycars wrote:First of all R12 cools just as well as any , if you have a system that runs on the old gas then its just a matter of changing the oil.
How an AC system works is , gas is stored in the entire system, then the compressor pumps it through the condensor (for cooling) then the dryer and then the expansion valve.
Reasons for hissing sound from vents are as follows , 1. Bad dryer 2. Too much oil in the compressor(this can affect cooling even though the system seems fully gassed) and last but not least the expansion valve.
We have to always remember for R12 or any other Refrigerant to works is that it has to return to a liquid state , for this to happen it has to be cooled and as such this is where your condensor comes in , if your cooling fans are not working as they should then you have a mixture of gas and liquid reaching your evaporator, this will cause a hissing of bubbling sound . an easy way to check this is to use water on the condensor then check for changes in Temp.
The compressor..... this the heart of your system , this is also the first to blame when having problems, here is the good news ..... a compressor can be checked to know if faulty, here is a few ideas how it is done , 1. pressure testing using nitro 2. placing a gauge on the low side and at idle speed of engine you should be getting between -40 to -50 psi then when you turn off your engine it should drop back slowly and not drastically ...
Once again hope that my info was usefull in some little way .
As always people , avoid the quacks .....

wow man you are the first person who ever explained the ac system like that...

Question ... where did you learnt your stuff man, you seem to be spot on ...............

Papajohn
Street 2NR

Postby Papajohn » September 14th, 2010, 3:09 pm

excellent thread

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”