Forums

washing engine

Tuning advice, problems and troubleshooting

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

washing engine

Postby cacasplat3 » September 27th, 2006, 8:26 pm

ok, so i open meh bonnet to check meh fluids and i realised that the engine bay had a lot of dust, and sum water had splashed up from the under carrage and now that left some stains that cant exactly be wiped off.
i have washed the engine once before, and all the sensors and harnesses that could be seen were blown out with compressed air. now my problem is that i've been advised to not wash the engine bay.
i'm real picky about a nasty engine bay, so i take a paint brush and dust off the loose dust every once in a while, but for the things like the stains that dusting wont take off, i'm looking for a solution.

i dont want to wash the engine cuz many ppl say not to do it. do you all have any ideas on what to do? or any alternatives?
thanks ppl 8-)

NickJr.
punchin NOS
Location: The Finish Line. So Elusive For Something That Never Moves

Postby NickJr. » September 27th, 2006, 10:58 pm

Who say doh wash it? Once yuh cover yuh alternator, yuh fuel rail yuh should be good. Oh and also if yuh have a distributor cover that too

DIESELTRINI
30 pounds of Boost

Postby DIESELTRINI » September 27th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Don't use high pressure water, and I don't mean like a pressure washer. I mean don't even use the spray attachment on your hose. Just use gentle running water. High pressure water can sometimes get into connectors, then when you turn on ignition, short out electronics.

Simple Green I have heard is pretty good as a degreaser. I use castrol super clean, but it strips paint, have to be careful with it.

bleedingfreak
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby bleedingfreak » September 28th, 2006, 6:27 am

But I still wanna know who say doh wash your engine?

Ain't there another one called purple blaster? Supposed to be safe for painted surfaces.

Anyways, it have a thread already bout this, if I remember correctly.

SmokeyGTi
punchin NOS

Postby SmokeyGTi » September 28th, 2006, 7:45 am

purple blaster is reaally good boy
works almost instantly and it's cheep

all you need to do is spray that on the surface, count to 5 an then use running water to wash off

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » September 28th, 2006, 8:00 am

Service stations have used Kerosene on my engine, then washed it out with a pressure hose then sprayed WD40 to displace the water. When I actually saw what they were doing (and how it ripped out the paint from my Valve Cover) I was horrified and I have not returned since.

But the kerosene and the WD40, are those bad practices?

bleedingfreak
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby bleedingfreak » September 28th, 2006, 8:08 am

Kerosene?

Man I thought it was diesel? In the service station I go too, they use diesel... and breeze...

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » September 28th, 2006, 8:16 am

i use keroscene and also the $10 cleaners and never spray water directly on any engine part
where i do spray water it is very low pressure, water can reach places where u can't begin to see

i don't cover anything but i wipe where is dirty and then rewipe clean, at least it may take longer but at least i have surprises when done

mini me AWD
Sweet on this forum

Postby mini me AWD » September 28th, 2006, 10:09 am

SmokeyGTi wrote:purple blaster is reaally good boy
works almost instantly and it's cheep

all you need to do is spray that on the surface, count to 5 an then use running water to wash off

purple blaster is really good- need to wear gloves though- really shouldn't leave it on for long casue its very corrosive

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 28th, 2006, 10:24 am

purple blaster not friendly to aluminium :!:
best option is Simple Green
If ur engine really nasty, there's Simple Green Crystal
Simple Green is also non toxic and environmentally friendly
and will not damage rummer seals and components cuz its water based

bleedingfreak
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby bleedingfreak » September 28th, 2006, 10:35 am

So...

Simple Green for it then!
:)

TurboDrive
Riding on 17's

Postby TurboDrive » September 28th, 2006, 11:30 am

Interesting thread. Where do you get this Simple Green stuff to buy ?

NickJr.
punchin NOS

Postby NickJr. » September 28th, 2006, 12:40 pm

^^ What he said, I have a couple engine bays to clean

Boneyard
Sweet on this forum

Postby Boneyard » September 28th, 2006, 3:29 pm

:shock: i used a power washer to clean my engine bay. i did mine last weekend used purple blast it works good and WD40 after to make every thing shine after and remove moisture.
So no high pressure water ? and cover altanator, distributor !

BulletProof
Trinituner Peong

Postby BulletProof » September 28th, 2006, 3:43 pm

I covered all sensors with plastic bags, then sprayed Purple Blaster over the engine, followed by a thorough cleaning with a 2" paint brush. I washed the engine with water, using the paint brush, i.e. no hose or spray of any kind, with a pass over of Purple Blaster for the tougher spots. I then removed the plastic bags, and did the cleaning CAREFULLY around the sensors.

I then towel dried the head and various "shiny" parts, leaving the rest to air dry. After which I used the Turtle Wax tyre wax and sprayed over all the rubber components, using a small cloth to take up the excess. I then used the soaked cloth to give the head an extra shine.

This brought a very dirty engine bay to showroom condition (the Purple blaster even cut grime from the body in the engine bay area and on the firewall where the chassis number is), and all that it needs to maintain that look is a quick wipedown every weekend and a couple sprays of the liquid wax.

I used to use WD40 to get the engine bay shining, but that attracted a lot of dust and when the engine got hot, used to fume a lot when vaporizing. I didn't like the idea of driving down the road with my engine bay smoking.. :lol: :lol:

So far the tyre wax is working wonders, and it doesn't burn off easily. (AND it's non-flammable!!!!!!!)

BulletProof
Trinituner Peong

Postby BulletProof » September 28th, 2006, 3:47 pm

^^ The key point here is that no water spray of any kind was used in my engine, and for added protection the sensors were covered.

I learnt a major lesson with my first engine wash at a well-known car wash place, with a pressure washer. A day later, the ECU started throwing CELs, which is a cause for panic with ANY engine, especially an Evo. Checked the code with Robert Chan's diagnostic tool, and it was the TPS and a couple of other sensor faults. After they were cleared, only the TPS fault re-occurred. A thorough spraying with CRC fixed that issue.

Since then (and based on his advice), I only apply water to my engine with a small paintbrush.

NickJr.
punchin NOS

Postby NickJr. » September 28th, 2006, 5:49 pm

Yeah but where I getting the Purple Blaster or the Simple Green?

BulletProof
Trinituner Peong

Postby BulletProof » September 28th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Purple Blaster - MRampersad

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » September 28th, 2006, 6:01 pm

Simple Green: INterChem in Barataria

TurboDrive
Riding on 17's

Postby TurboDrive » September 28th, 2006, 6:40 pm

Thanks for d info MG Man,

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » September 28th, 2006, 8:53 pm

first off, thanks for all the info.
secondly, there is no greasy spots on the engine, its just 'dirty water' stains, and lots of dust and very very small stones.(these collect in the space between the 2 banks os cylinders)
i'm not in a position to cover all the sensors in my engine bay, by doing that i'm covering almost everything. :?
the engine has coil packs, i know these are not supposed to get wet, by washing the engine (even with just runing water) the packs will get wet :|

my only guess is to remove the plastic engine cover and whatever stuff that blocks up space, and just blow out the engine with compressed air, as for the stains, it wont be easy, but i think i'll wipe it off with a wet cloth or sumthing.

Man I thought it was diesel? In the service station I go too, they use diesel... and breeze...

take my word for it, never let ppl spay your vehicle with diesel. it softens up the rubbers on your vehicle, and eventually they burst. cuz of doing this just once, i had to change 4 engine mounts, stabliser bar rubbers, stabliser likages, a cradel, two booth rubbers, plus sum other rubbers i cant remember. in total it costs over $7000 to replace those things. so dont do this. :wink:

equipped2ripp
punchin NOS

Postby equipped2ripp » September 28th, 2006, 9:54 pm

use the safest thing - engine degreaser.

wagon r
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz
Location: ......takin it easy on the road we call "Life".....

Postby wagon r » September 29th, 2006, 6:45 am

....any difference in washin a diesel engine vs a gas engine....do you have to be as careful....

bleedingfreak
3NE2NR Diesel Boyz

Postby bleedingfreak » September 29th, 2006, 7:35 am

cacasplat3 wrote:take my word for it, never let ppl spay your vehicle with diesel. it softens up the rubbers on your vehicle, and eventually they burst. cuz of doing this just once, i had to change 4 engine mounts, stabliser bar rubbers, stabliser likages, a cradel, two booth rubbers, plus sum other rubbers i cant remember. in total it costs over $7000 to replace those things. so dont do this. :wink:

I don't think spraying your engine with breeze/diesel/water will cause $7000 in damage after ONE engine wash pal... :roll:

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » September 29th, 2006, 6:39 pm

^^^^^^ wasent the engine. it was the entire under carrage. man u should have see what that diesel did. almost every suspension rubber i have had to be changed. i still have a couple rubbers to change, only thing is i cant get them without buying the entire back banjo. and that is really expensive.

man if u doubting me, thats yur decision, but i can safley tell you that the diesel was the cause.

....any difference in washin a diesel engine vs a gas engine....do you have to be as careful....

i wouldnt say u have to be just as careful,but be careful, still. because gas engines generally have a lot more sensors. if u can cover up whatever sensors u have, then IMO it shouldnt be a problem.

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » October 1st, 2006, 12:35 pm

anywhere south side for simple green?

havokkk
3NE 2NR for life

Postby havokkk » October 1st, 2006, 4:14 pm

^^ l&g's the tool store... gulf view link road.

A33_VQ35
Chronic TriniTuner

Re: washing engine

Postby A33_VQ35 » October 3rd, 2006, 9:10 am

cacasplat3 wrote:ok, so i open meh bonnet to check meh fluids and i realised that the engine bay had a lot of dust, and sum water had splashed up from the under carrage and now that left some stains that cant exactly be wiped off.
i have washed the engine once before, and all the sensors and harnesses that could be seen were blown out with compressed air. now my problem is that i've been advised to not wash the engine bay.
i'm real picky about a nasty engine bay, so i take a paint brush and dust off the loose dust every once in a while, but for the things like the stains that dusting wont take off, i'm looking for a solution.

i dont want to wash the engine cuz many ppl say not to do it. do you all have any ideas on what to do? or any alternatives?
thanks ppl 8-)

I washed mine this weekend using my own pressure washer. didn't set it to full pressure. First of all i removed the stock airbox by de rad and then covered the opening to the air filter. also tied in the air intake temp sensor harness in there to. then took off the engine cover(de nissan cover eh) den i washed it out, making careful note not to linger on any spot. the prob is not gettin to much water in the middle of the V where the intake bolts to the engine. Then i used a wet and dry vacuum that has a blower to the top to blow out all the water. (note, it's not pressurized but it does the job). When i started the engine it started in a 1 an i jus let it idle to dry out any excess. no probs since. will check to see if water got in the spark plug guides but as the engine slant i doubt, any water got in.

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » October 3rd, 2006, 9:19 pm

^^^^ ok no scene, only thing is them coil pack is wah i fraid get wet :?

LOCO
3NE 2NR for life

Postby LOCO » October 4th, 2006, 11:32 am

Simple green is also environment friendly, for those of you who care.

Advertisement

Return to “AUTOMOTIVE TECH”